spacer

. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Lacquer paintings from Vietnam

 These are probably the two pieces of art I'm most proud of, and represent me in some ways - One is haunting, spiritual, and dreamlike; the other is silly, quirky and worldly.  I guess I can be both too.

They took probably more than a month to complete - the process is very long winded and requires a huge amount of patience and control - which I possess in very limited supply - although I often claim that the patchiness is deliberate, I actually over polished both these pieces - the clouds in the left hand painting are to patch hole in the silver blue layer (real silver powder btw!) and the uneven colouring of the sky in the righthand painting annoyed me even more! again caused by over rubbing. The heart is gold leaf.

These both remind me that I can really make things of beauty & significance, that touch or influence people, and I commit to making more art that reflects these disparate worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment